South Carolina Bar Young Lawyer’s Division
South Carolina Legal Feeding Frenzy Competition Rules 2023
The South Carolina Bar Young Lawyers Division, in partnership with Feeding the Carolinas, is hosting the South Carolina Legal Feeding Frenzy (“SCLFF”), a friendly fundraising competition among the South Carolina legal community to benefit South Carolina’s regional food banks—Harvest Hope Food Bank, Lowcountry Food Bank, Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina, and Golden Harvest Food Bank. The 2023 SCLFF competition runs from March 1-31, 2023.
Each law firm, organization, and/or agency, registers a team by completing a Team Application and competes to collect the most funds possible. When each team registers, the team will designate the regional food bank to which their funds will be donated.
At the end of the week-long competition, the YLD will recognize eight (8) winners – one for each of the seven (7) divisions and one highly coveted President’s Cup.
Winners from the following divisions will be determined based on the team that raises the most funds in their respective division:
- Sole Proprietor (1-10 employees)
- Small Firm (11-50 employees)
- Medium Firm (51-100 employees)
- Large Firm (101+ employees)
- Public Interest/Government
- Corporate/In-House Counsel
- Law School
The President’s Cup will be awarded to the team with the highest average individual donation, calculated by the team’s total donations divided by the team’s total number of donors.
The contest will run from March 1-31, 2023. Any funds submitted before March 1 or after March 31 will not be counted towards the team’s overall total for purposes of the competition.
Determining Team Size:
Law Firm Divisions
When counting the number of employees, each person, including each non-attorney, working at the firm should be included. Law firms with multiple office locations will compete as a single entity for awards; however, each office should register separately.
Public Interest/Government Division
The Public Interest/Government Division shall include all public interest law firms and organizations, government agencies, non-profit organizations, the Courts, Public Defender’s offices, Solicitor’s offices, and the Attorney General’s office.
Corporate and in-house legal departments shall compete in a single category, regardless of the size of the organization or legal department. When submitting your Team Application, simply designate how many employees are in your legal department.
- $1 raised = 4 points
- See below for several BONUS POINT opportunities:
- Teams that register before March 1, 2023 will receive 1,000 bonus points.
- Teams that register between March 1 and March 8, 2023 will receive 100 bonus points.
Teams that raise $500 or more through online donations on the first day of the #SCLFF competition (March 1, 2023) will be awarded 2,500 bonus points.
Teams that organize and participate in an on-site volunteer opportunity at any of the designated local food banks—Harvest Hope Food Bank, Lowcountry Food Bank, Golden Harvest Food Bank, or Second Harvest Food Bank of Metrolina—between February 22, when registration for #SCLFF2023 opens, and March 31, 2023, when the competition ends, will be awarded 5,000 bonus points.
- If you’d like to volunteer with Second Harvest Food Bank, please reach out to Betsy Van Dyne: firstname.lastname@example.org
- If you’d like to volunteer with Lowcountry Food Bank, please use this link: https://lowcountryfoodbank.org/get-involved/volunteer/
- If you’d like to volunteer with Harvest Hope Food Bank, please use this link: https://www.harvesthope.org/group-volunteer-sign
- If you’d like to volunteer with Golden Harvest Food Bank, please use this link: https://goldenharvest.org/volunteer/
Teams that share information about #SCLFF2023 and/or food insecurity in South Carolina on social media (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) at any time from February 22, 2023, when registration opens, through March 31, 2023, when the competition ends, can receive up to 1,000 bonus points: 200 points for each post. For full credit, no two posts may be duplicative or made on the same day. To receive credit for social media posts, please screenshot the post and email it to Megan.Feltham@mgclaw.com no later than 11:59 p.m. on March 31, 2023.
Miscellaneous Bonus Pounds
Be on the lookout throughout the competition for ways that your team might be able to earn even more bonus points.
In order to best meet the needs of our neighbors and local food banks, we are collecting monetary, as opposed to physical, donations for the #SCLFF2023.
All fundraising must take place within the competition dates (March 1-31, 2023). Any money collected before or after these dates will not count toward a team’s final total.
- Online Donations: All online donations made by your team should be made through the individualized fundraising page link provided to your organization’s contact person. Make sure you donate through the page designated to your firm or organization to ensure that proper credit is provided. Please make sure the information on your team fundraising page is correct before the competition begins so that you can hit the ground running!
- You can also access your team’s fundraising page as follows:
- Step 1. Go to sclegalfeedingfrenzy.com
- Step 2. Click “Fundraiser Pages”
- Step 3. Click “Donate”
- Step 4. Enter your gift amount and your information. In the “Additional Information” area of the donation page, designate the law firm and/or food bank you would like to credit. You must make that designation in order for your online donation to be counted as part of the competition. If your designee has multiple offices (i.e., Greenville and Florence offices), be sure to designate which office you would like to credit
- You can also access your team’s fundraising page as follows:
- Offline Donations (Checks/Cash): Checks should be made payable to your team’s designated regional Food Bank. Make sure to indicate on the memo line that the check is for the SC Legal Food Frenzy competition and what fundraising team you are contributing to!
- Any gifts made before or after March 1-31 will NOT be counted towards your competition score. Past and future-planned donations to your food bank that are unrelated to the SCLFF will not be credited to your team for the purposes of this competition. All donations must take place during the competition to be counted towards your team’s score. Matching gifts may be made at the end of the competition.
Additional details & resources will be sent to your team’s contact person within 2-3 business days from the date of registration. Thank you for participating in the #SCLFF2023!